There is a Learning Support Service available in our school.
Íníon Ní Mhaoileoin co-ordinates the Learning Support Service in Coláiste Muire.
Support may be in the form of words of encouragement, short-term small group sessions or long-term one-to-one tuition.
Early identification of First Years who would benefit from Learning Support is crucial.
The role of the Learning Support Teacher is to help students make progress at Coláiste Muire and to enjoy success at the achievement level that best suits the students’ strengths and talents.
Parent/guardians can assist in this by advising the Learning Support Teacher of:
- Any remedial help received in Primary School. Any educational assessments carried out by the Health Board or privately.
- Any diagnosis of specific learning difficulties.
- Any sight or hearing impairment.
- Any emotional upset or behavioral problem that could hinder your child’s progress.
*Any information received will be used in confidence, strictly to facilitate the student’s transition from Primary to Secondary School.
LCVP in Coláiste Muire
Coláiste Muire recognises the importance of SPHE (Social Personal & Health Education) and has a full SPHE programme in place within the school.
SPHE is concerned with the personal development of students and with his/her health and well-being. It is one of the most important areas of a students education.
LCVP helps students to understand how to care for themselves and it fosters in them a sense of responsibility for their own actions.
- Enables the students to develop skills for self-fulfillment and living in communities.
- Enable the students to develop a framework for responsible decision-making.
- Promotes self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Provides opportunities for reflection and discussion.
- Promotes physical, mental and emotional health and well being.
OSPS is carried out from 1st Year to 3rd Year and it covers the follwing ten modules: Belonging and Integrating, Self-Management, Communication Skills, Physical Health, Friendship, Relationships & Sexuality, Emotional Health, Influences and Decisions, Substance Mis-use and Personal Safety.